By Vanessa Molina Santamaria
We are boss moms! That means that we have a lot to accomplish each and every day. Whether it’s caring for a baby or getting our kiddos ready for school, running a biz or working long hours in the corporate world, what we do first thing in the morning can impact the rest of our day.
I’m sure you’ve heard that making your bed sets you up for success. I’m not sure if that’s true, but I do TRY to make my bed most mornings. I’ve been researching ways to improve my morning routine, so I wanted to share some tips that I think all of us boss moms can benefit from. Even if we can’t implement all of these ideas, if we can just achieve some sort of balance and personal fulfillment, we are bound to be more productive both at work and in our home.
- Plan everything the night before. Prepare your outfit, your kids’ clothes, bookbags, breakfast, lunch and everything else the night before so you’re not running around looking for things in the morning. By starting your morning the night before, you gain more time and feel less exasperated.
- Don’t check your phone when you wake up. I’m so guilty of this! I usually roll out of bed and check my emails and social media to see if there’s anything urgent or interesting happening. Don’t get sidetracked by external influences that take up too much time and may even get you stressed out.
- Drink water as soon as you get up. Experts say that drinking a glass of water on an empty stomach helps jumpstart your system because it flushes out toxins from your body. This helps you feel renewed, hydrated and could even boost your metabolism.
- Exercise for 30 minutes. I’m a morning person so exercising in the morning is something that appeals to me. Exercise has many benefits, of course, but if you get moving in the morning, it will help clear your mind and give you energy, so you’ll feel like you’re ready to take on the world.
- Power yourself up with a healthy breakfast. Whether it’s a green smoothie, a Chai bowl or a high protein breakfast, making healthy choices will boost your energy. A filling, nutritious breakfast can reduce fatigue, boost your metabolism and keep you feeling full longer, so you don’t crave sugary snacks later. One of my fave smoothie recipes combines spinach, carrots, berries, banana and coconut milk. Yum!
- Jot down at least one thing that you’re grateful for that day. Take a moment to write down something that you’re grateful for on this day and I promise it will change your entire outlook! This simple exercise will help you focus on the positive and will put a smile on your face.
- Write a task list with your top priorities for the day. Avoid feeling overwhelmed by creating a task list and setting your goals for the day. This can include anything from work projects and client meetings to personal errands that you want to accomplish. Use an inspiring notepad (that’s what I do!) or, if you prefer to ditch the pen and paper, you can also use the notes feature on your smartphone.
By implementing a few — or all — of these tips into your morning routine, you’ll maximize your productivity and have more time for the fun stuff.
Which of these tips have you already implemented? Which one resonates with you the most? I’d love to hear from you!
Vanessa is part of We Are Boss Mom’s marketing team. As the founder of Bits & Pieces Media, she provides businesses with creative content and brand marketing strategies. As a writer, editor, creative director and project manager, Vanessa loves bringing stories to life with words, photography and design.